Marcus Hook Rear Range Lighthouse
Year Built
1915
Cost
$20,000
Type
Square
Height
105 feet
Location
Just South of Bellefonte
Automated Year
1950
First Lit
1920
Lens Type
Fourth order Fresnel lens (original), RL-24 (current)
Fog Signal
None
Year Deactivated
Active
Color
Concrete
Last Keeper - Date
James O'Connell (1951 – )
Description
The original keeper’s quarters are now a private residence. The light tower is an active aid to navigation and not open to the public.
Brief History
• A temporary light was first exhibited on shore in 1915, before a seventy-two-foot-tall structural steel tower situated was erected atop a twenty-foot-square concrete crib supported by a pile foundation in 1918.
• A one-story brick structure that served as a combination garage, oil house, and work area was built behind the dwelling.
• Leslie Van Stavern Millar moved into the keeper’s dwelling in the 1930s with his wife, six children, and his father, who also had served as a keeper.
• Members of the Coast Guard continued to occupy the dwelling at Marcus Hook until sometime around 2004, when the house was vacated and boarded up.
• In 2010, the Coast Guard sold the property outside the NHLPA process, and the keeper’s dwelling is now a private residence.