main pic
Bellevue Rear Range Lighthouse

index pic

Year Built
1909

Cost
$40,000

Type
Triangular pyramidal skeletal tower with balcony and light (current)

Height
93 fet

Location
Wilmington

Automated Year
1934

First Lit
1909

Lens Type
Fourth order Fresnel lens

Fog Signal
None

Year Deactivated
2001

Color
Black

Last Keeper - Date
William H. Johnson (1919 – 1938)

Description
The Bellevue Range Rear Light is not open to the public.

Brief History
•  In a newspaper article in 1929, Keeper Johnson was quoted as saying he had seen only one wreck in the decade he had been at the station.
•  Bellevue Range was automated around 1934.
•   After having been vandalized and relegated to a place for carousing, Christiana Lighthouse was razed in 1939.
•  Bellevue Range Rear Light Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
•  In April 2007, Bellevue Rear Range Lighthouse, deemed excess by the Coast Guard, was offered at no cost to eligible entities.