main pic
Ram Island Ledge Light

index pic

Year Built
1905

Cost
$166,000

Type
Conical

Height
72 feet

Location
Portland Harbor, Casco bay

Automated Year
1959

First Lit
1905

Lens Type
Third order Fresnel lens

Fog Signal
Horn: 1 every 10s

Year Deactivated
Active

Color
Natural (light gray) with black lantern

Last Keeper - Date
Irving T. Sparrow (1949 – 1951)

Description
The lighthouse was built of granite quarried from Vinalhaven, Maine.

Brief History
•  Work on site resumed in 1904, after Congress had provided an additional $50,000 on March 3, 1903 and $33,000 on April 28, 1904, and the last course of stone was in place by July.
•  In 1905, an iron landing pier, not included in the original plans for the lighthouse, was built adjacent to the tower to facilitate the landing of men and supplies during rough weather.
•  The station was electrified in 1958 and automated in 1959.
•  The light was converted to solar power in 2001.
•  In 2005 a license to care for the light was granted to the American Lighthouse Foundation.