main pic
Tarpaulin Cove Lighthouse

index pic

Year Built
1818

Cost
$6,062.11

Type
Cylindrical

Height
28 feet

Location
Naushon Island Gosnold

Automated Year
1941

First Lit
1891

Lens Type
Fifth order Fresnel lens (1856), 4th order Fresnel lens (1891), 12 inches (300 mm) (current)

Fog Signal
Bell 1891-1938

Year Deactivated
Active

Color
White with black lantern

Last Keeper - Date
Tolman W. Spencer (at least 1928 – 1941)

Description
A brick tower with attached workroom and the public is not allowed to land on the island.

Brief History
•  In 1759 Zaccheus Lumbert, who ran the local tavern, established a light on Naushon Island for the “public good of the Whalemen and Coasters”. For nearly six decades the light was maintained.
•  In 1856, during Nathan Clifford’s term as keeper, a fifth-order Fresnel lens was purchased from Sautter and Company of Paris, for 2604.5 francs.
•  In 1871, Keeper Richard Norton obtained his position after the Confederate raider Alabama sank the square-rigger he captained and partially owned.
•  By 1891 the lighthouse needed to be replaced. A 28-foot brick tower was built with a conventional cast iron lantern.
•  In August 2001, a three-year effort by the Cuttyhunk Historical Society and the Naushon Trust to become caretakers of Tarpaulin Cove Lighthouse won a twenty-five-year license for the tower from the Coast Guard.