Morris Island Lighthouse
Year Built
1876
Cost
$149,993
Type
Conical
Height
161 feet
Location
Morris Island
Automated Year
1938
First Lit
1876
Lens Type
First-order Fresnel, 1858
Fog Signal
None
Year Deactivated
1962
Color
Alternating black and white horizontal bands
Last Keeper - Date
William A. Hecker (1935 – 1938)
Description
The lighthouse is not open to the public or accessible by land.
Brief History
• In 1876 the lighthouse stood 1,200 feet from the coast, but when jetties were created in 1889 to protect shipping lanes, natural erosion was intensified and the ocean crept closer and closer.
• 1886, The Charleston earthquake cracks the tower and displaces the lens of the main light but is quickly repaired.
• In 1965, it was sold to a private citizen and in 1982, it was named one of the National Register of Historic Places.
• 1989, Hurricane Hugo destroys all remaining structures around the lighthouse, but the tower withstands the storm.
• 2000, The State of South Carolina assumes ownership and coordinates with Save the Light to protect and maintain the lighthouse.